In the beginning of the month I set a personal goal to get 10,000 hits on this site. Since I started tracking hits last April my highest hit count per month was right around 7,300 so I knew this would be tough. I also did not want to do it in a silly manner and blog things that would just get hits, I wanted the posts to be real information – well, at least as real as I have been posting. I pretty much wrote every night, scheduling one, two or sometimes even three posts for the following days. So here it is, Sunday night (Halloween), October 31st and the month of October had 10,017 hits! Talk about calling it close… It took 39 posts in one month to achieve that. For this blog that is a lot of posts, almost double my normal count.
I have to hand it to David Leedy for creating what I consider some pretty amazing videos. I watched the first eight videos and plan to watch the rest very soon. Very clear, concise and to the point! I guess they are not listed from beginner to advanced but it does appear to get right to the point on every subject. He doesn’t have a British accent but his voice is pretty good.
I love this kind of stuff because I just play them while on the treadmill, way cool! If you want to learn XPages the visual way then this is the place to be!
Check out XPages.tv today.
I find numbers and statistics very interesting. I added the Visitors Map to my site last year and I always find it interesting that more and more places show up on it. It is also a great conversation piece when someone visits my site and sees it. Tonight, I decided to install Piwik onto my site. The installation was seamless and the integration was even more seamless. It does require a MySQL database but for the most part it just uses basic a basic web server that supports PHP. The really cool thing about this tool is it of course has a WordPress plugin that integrates into my WordPress dashboard. This level of statistics should be interesting to watch over time.
With the recently released Multiple Database Search plug-in you will see an example of how to implement the “com.ibm.rcp.search.engines.searchEngines” extension point. This extension puts a new search entry in the search toolbar dropdown:
You can look at the plugin.xml in the project to see the extension definition. Let’s walk through how this extension is configured:
//The first extension declares the engine <extension point="com.ibm.rcp.search.engines.searchEngines"> <searchEngine data="1073873011" // Initialization data given to the class, we dont use this really engine="org.openntf.mailsearch.SearchEngine" // The class name for our engine global="true" // We want our engine to always be available hasResults="true" // We will use the regular search UI page icon="icon/dbicon1.gif" // Our icon in the drop down menu id="org.openntf.mailsearch.SearchEngine" // the id of our engine label="Multiple DB Search" // The label for our engine (shows in the drop down) type="other"/> // We are not a regular type so just put other </extension> //The next extension actually adds the engine to the UI, it is pretty self explanatory <extension point="com.ibm.rcp.search.ui.searchBarSets"> <searchBarSet id="org.openntf.mailsearch.SearchEngine" label="Multiple DB Search" visible="true"> <searchBarItem engineID="org.openntf.mailsearch.SearchEngine" id="org.openntf.mailsearch.SearchEngine.item" /> </searchBarSet> </extension>
The engine parameter is really the key parameter as it points the search framework to our class that does the heavy lifting. The class is what is responsible for actually executing the search across the selected databases. Following this sample you can now create a search to essentially anything that Java code has access to.
Our search engine uses multiple threads to search across the databases. Since the back-end Java API’s can be accessed from multiple threads this makes it a pretty big advantage performance wise. If your databases are also full text indexed, you will see some pretty impressive performance with this technique. I will save the threading discussion for another post…
I got a call the other day asking how can one do a common set of responses in Sametime. I figured since this probably is a common question for people who are new to Sametime that I would share the answer in a quick little video.
After a few days with the new download tracking plug-in installed on my blog I am already seeing its value – somewhat. The release of the Multiple Database Search plug-in for Lotus Notes on OpenNTF shows 35 people have downloaded the source and install site. The download manager WP-DownloadManager, shows 56 downloads of the widget that installs the plugin.
The problem is the log shows eight of those downloads (of the widget) to be either duplicates or multiple downloads from the same IP address. This means the net difference is 13. So even though the numbers are close this does show some people have more interest in just using it versus scanning the source code.